Frijoles Charros (Charro Beans)
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Prep + Cook Time:
Makes: 6 cups
A savory bean soup with lots of flavor and kick!
Already cooked pinto beans w/its broth
3 1/2 oz.
hot dogs (cut into rounds)
Salt to taste
If you need help cooking beans first:
** Cooking the beans
To cook the beans place 2 cups of dry beans, salt to taste and
8 cups of water in a large pot. Cook for about 2 hours or a little bit longer
until they are tender. Soaking the beans overnight will speed up this process. I
usually use my pressure cooker and they are done in 30 minutes.
1. Place the beans and its broth aside.
2. Fry the bacon in a skillet at medium heat for about 10 minutes or until
crispy. At this time add the hotdogs.
3. After 5 minutes add the onion, garlic and pepper and fry for 2 more minutes.
4. Stir in the Chopped tomato and cook, stirring occasionally for an additional
Once the tomato has released it juices stir in this mixture to the pot with the
beans. And simmer for about 15 minutes, to blend the flavors. Add water if
necessary. The consistency shouldn?t be thick.
6. Add salt to adjust taste if necessary and the chopped cilantro right before
Serve in large bowls w/lemon wedges on the side ;)
other recipes in soups & stews
I love making cajun and creole dishes like gumbo and jambalaya. Most of the recipes I use recommend homemade shrimp stock, advice that I always ignored,…
This was my very favorite dish on the cruise we took for our honeymoon, and I found the exact recipe for it online! It was smooth and creamy, and just pl…
A fall friendly family favorite chowder!