Frijoles Charros (Charro Beans)
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Prep + Cook Time:
Makes: 6 cups
A savory bean soup with lots of flavor and kick!
Already cooked pinto beans w/its broth
3 1/2 oz.
hot dogs (cut into rounds)
Salt to taste
If you need help cooking beans first:
** Cooking the beans
To cook the beans place 2 cups of dry beans, salt to taste and
8 cups of water in a large pot. Cook for about 2 hours or a little bit longer
until they are tender. Soaking the beans overnight will speed up this process. I
usually use my pressure cooker and they are done in 30 minutes.
1. Place the beans and its broth aside.
2. Fry the bacon in a skillet at medium heat for about 10 minutes or until
crispy. At this time add the hotdogs.
3. After 5 minutes add the onion, garlic and pepper and fry for 2 more minutes.
4. Stir in the Chopped tomato and cook, stirring occasionally for an additional
Once the tomato has released it juices stir in this mixture to the pot with the
beans. And simmer for about 15 minutes, to blend the flavors. Add water if
necessary. The consistency shouldn?t be thick.
6. Add salt to adjust taste if necessary and the chopped cilantro right before
Serve in large bowls w/lemon wedges on the side ;)
Other recipes in soups & stews
Great fall chili that is kid friendly because it isn't too spicy. Lots of great flavors and uses the number one fall ingredient - pumpkin!
Very close to what they serve at Olive Garden, just a lot better!
Known to most as goulash this popular soup is a Hungarian original. It contains chunks of beef, potatoes, and vegetables, plus plenty of paprika and spic…