When we found out that our SheSpeaks staffer Emily is pregnant and due in September, we just had to compare stories, grilling her about all the new ways social media has impacted the experience. Turns out that pregnancy itself has not changed since the dawn of civilization, but the way we handle it sure has: Gender-Reveal Parties! Birth Announcements on Facebook! Pregnancy Tracking Apps! We needed to know more...
Read on to celebrate the fun that is pregnancy, and enter to win a $100 gift card to Spafinder.com so you can treat yourself this Mother's Day!
How did you announce that you were pregnant?
- Emily: I told close friends/family on the phone or in person early in my pregnancy, then after the first trimester posted a cartoon my husband drew on Facebook.
- Aliza (mom to 10 year-old Cayla and 8 year-old Zoe): For our family and close friends, we emailed a photo of the sonogram with the subject line, "Our delivery is on its way." Yes, we thought we were very clever and yes, it was sent via email. Only college kids were on Facebook at the beginning of my first pregnancy!
What’s with the gender-reveal parties? Are showers now considered passé?
- Emily: Everyone wants to hear about the gender! I have been asked a lot if I'm having a girl or boy and we haven't been able to tell via ultrasound yet. We're having gender-neutral baby showers with my family and my in-laws and the showers will be co-ed!
- Carol (mom to 16 year-old Charlie & 12 year-old Melissa): We chose not to find out the gender of either of our babies until they were born. I love surprises! But my co-workers threw me a coed shower where they each filled out a questionnaire guessing the baby's arrival date, weight, name, college and career. They put all these in an album with photos. I still have it although the "baby" is now 16!
With all the internet resources available, are you even shopping in-store? And how are you deciding what to buy?
- Emily: I’ve been relying heavily on Amazon reviews, and some product round-ups from bloggers I like. We set up an Amazon registry and have been slowly adding to it, but plan to go in-store to do some research in-person to help us decide what to buy, then will add more to the Amazon registry.
- Susan (mom to 9 year-old Samuel & 5 year-old Alex): When I was first pregnant ten years ago, everyone I knew had the book ‘Baby Bargains’. I brought the book to Babies R' Us when I went to make my registry there. We picked whatever items that Baby Bargains recommended and Babies R' Us sold.
What research are you doing to learn about pregnancy and the new baby?
- Emily: I use the Ovia app which I use to track symptoms and weight gain. I've also enjoyed the podcasts "The Longest Shortest Time" and "Pregnancy Confidential." Books: What to Expect When You're Expecting, What to Expect the First Year, Expecting Better, The Happiest Baby on the Block (and many more to come, I'm sure!)
- Susan: Glad to see books are still being used, especially What to Expect When You're Expecting!
- Melissa (mom to 7 month-old Cameron): I downloaded the What to Expect App which tracks your pregnancy week by week, giving you updates on size, weight, development, and symptoms. I couldn't wait to read what was happening each week. But for the not-so-technical side of it, I found the best and most honest advice always came from other moms (and still does!)
Happy Mother's Day from the SheSpeaks Team!
Whether you are a new mom, an experienced mom or not a mom at all... what is your best piece of advice to give to Emily and all the other soon-to-be moms out there? Tell us for a chance to win a $100 gift card to Spafinder.com so you can treat yourself this Mother's Day!
There are two ways to enter:
Simply comment below with advice for a future mom.
Tweet about the giveaway!
Click here to Tweet: "I entered the @SheSpeaksUp #MothersDay giveaway to win a Spafinder gift card! bit.ly/1NzyiAQ"
*One lucky commenter or Tweeter will be chosen at random to receive a $100 Spafinder.com gift card. Giveaway is open through May 8th, 2016 to U.S. residents at least 18 years of age. Entrants must be a member of SheSpeaks. If you are not a member, click here to join. Winner will be notified by email.
Update: The winner is SheSpeaks member Eureka00! Thanks to all for entering and congrats to her!