Zora Neale Hurston Their Eyes Were Watching God | SheSpeaks

• kittyyoga By  kittyyoga
    02.12.15

Love love love. Really moving and emotional.

• tdcamp By  tdcamp
    09.04.13

This has to be one of my all time favorite books. The story is so powerful and moving. I've probably read it at least twenty times.

• taletreader By  taletreader
    04.09.12

The dialogue was hard for me to get used to, but after getting sucked into the story, the strange dialect becomes normalized. I wrote an essay about this book and how it's related to slavery--slavery to men. This isn't your typical love story; the main character does fall in love, but there are so many challenges to face both before the romance and after.

• mocha2008 By  mocha2008
    03.07.12

I had to read this book a few years ago for school and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a great book about love, romance and emotions. Any female could relate to the main character if they have ever been in love. I highly recommend this book.

• Snookiebill By  Snookiebill
    02.21.12

A few years ago my daughter had to read this book for one of her high school classes. I read it after her recommendation and was not disappointed. It was unlike any book I had previously read, but was thoroughly enjoyed!

• FreeBeingX By  FreeBeingX
    01.30.12

This book has it all: history, romance, adventure and emotional survival. While the characters are Black Americans, but the story belongs to any woman who has ever been in love. I like most that the story teaches about a time and people not often covered in most fiction. It was easy to get swept up into the feelings of the main character and I almost felt as if the stories of women in my own family background had come to life for me. I have since watched the television version of the story and am glad that I read the book first, A very worthy read that I highly recommend.