Super Christmas Sugar Cookies
- Prep Time:
8 Hrs 20 Mins
- Cook Time:
- Total Prep + Cook Time:
8 Hrs 25 Mins
Makes: 30 cookies
My mother-in-law perfected this sugar cookie recipe. She even won an award for it one year at the Kentucky State Fair.
She died a few years ago, but she left her extra-special recipe to me, so that I continue her baking legacy.
These cookies are a Christmas favorite, but they can (and should) be enjoyed any time of year!
Domino white granulated sugar
Martha White self-rising flour
Crisco vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups
Domino powdered sugar
food coloring (optional)
STEP 1: MAKE THE DOUGH
1. Put the margarine in a large microwave-safe bowl and heat for about 30 seconds on high power, or until the margarine is melted.
2. Pour the sugar into the melted butter and blend with an electric mixer (on the lowest setting) for three minutes.
3. Add the egg and mix for 2-3 more minutes.
4. Stir in the vanilla until it is completely blended into the mixture.
5. Add the flour and form into a dough ball.
6. Wrap the dough ball in wax paper.
7. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
STEP 2: BAKE THE COOKIES
1. Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
2. Grease two cookie sheets with Crisco.
3. Divide the chilled dough ball into three equal pieces.
4. Sprinkle flour lightly on a clean counter-top or other surface,
5. Roll out dough pieces one at a time on the floured surface.
6. Use cookie cutters to cut cookies into your favorite Christmas shapes , or just hand-roll small sections of dough and flatten them out to make round cookies.
7. Gently lay the cookies out on the greased cookie sheets.
8. Bake cookies for about three to five minutes until the bottoms are golden. "Golden" is the key here.
STEP 3: GLAZE THE COOKIES (This step is optional).
1. Pour the powdered sugar into a medium-sized bowl.
2. Stir in four tablespoons of water until all the sugar is dissolved.
3. Add the food coloring, if desired.
4. Brush the glaze onto the cookies right after you take them out of the oven.
5. Let the cookies sit for about thirty minutes, so the glaze can harden.
Oh my, I think I just had a heart attack reading the ingredients.
No wonder they are to rated as good.
Tried these the other day with my kids as a holiday "dry run" and they were delicious! Be careful. You can't eat just one!
I love sugar cookies!
other recipes in desserts
A romantic evening with a bottle of wine and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. Quick, affordable and easy; they only look difficult.
This is an excellent cheese ball that can also be used as a dip as well if you don't want to go through the trouble of forming it into a ball. Every time…
This is my favorite dessert, it is easy and delicious !