Makes: 4 servings
This recipe has some of my favorite ingredients - basil, shrimp, tomatoes and feta cheese. It's nice to make for dinner parties or special occasions, since you can make the shrimp ahead and put it in the oven while you entertain.
Extra virgin olive oil
Garlic, finely chopped
Large can whole tomatoes
Dry white wine
Freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 lbs
Red pepper flakes
Cooked fusilli or rigatoni
Fresh basil leaves, chopped
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet and add the garlic. Cook briefly, stirring, and add the tomatoes. Cook about one minute and add the wine, salt and pepper. Add the basil and oregano.
2. Cook over moderate heat about 10 minutes.
3. Peel and devein the shrimp, sprinkle with salt and pepper. If using cooked frozen shrimp, rinse in a colander and drain.
4. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet and add the shrimp. Cook quickly, about 1 minute, just until shrimp turns red. Stir as they cook. ( If frozen, put in pan just long enough to heat through, about 1-2 minutes) Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. ( don't use too much, it gets hot!)
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
6. Spoon the shrimp and any pan juices into a baking dish. Top with the crumbled feta. ( I usually use the whole container-- what's betta than feta?) Top with the tomato mixture.
7. Place dish in the oven and bake until piping hot. ( My recipe says 10 minutes, but I always go longer, at least 30. It's fine to let it go?. It won't overcook)
8. Cook the pasta and drain. Serve the spirals with the shrimp mixture on top . Yummers!!