Irma S Rombauer Joy of Cooking | SheSpeaks

• chanteusse chanteusse
    09.29.11

I received this cookbook at my wedding shower many years ago..used it so much the binding broke..so I bought another brand new, updated copy.Honestly I don't know what I would ever do without this book. So many recipes for Thanksgiving dinner items we serve, Cookies for the holidays, swedish meatballs. I started out a novice cook..using this book has helped me hone my cooking skills. Highly recommended!

• baileypaige1 By  baileypaige1
    10.07.14

A classic and a must have. More than just a comprehensive collection of recipes, it has definitions, cooking terms and guides to cooking methods.

• cherylbull36 By  cherylbull36
    04.22.14

Timeless

• Vonettam By  Vonettam
    01.29.13

Great for those who love to read cookbooks because you'll learn a lot about the details of what you're cooking.. Some of the entries, like about how to select a fresh chicken (you mean you can cook chicken that wasn't frozen?) are dated, as are some of the recipes. And, there's not much in the way of ethnic food. That said, I turn to this book for the old standbys like pie crust, cream sauces, and any cut of any meat.

• larosamorada By  larosamorada
    11.10.12

A classic cookbook for any kitchen. Has very useful information about ingredients as well.

• TPittman By  TPittman
    04.26.12

Am I the only one who just doesn't like this cookbook??? I WANT to like "The Joy..." but I have almost 100 cookbooks and about 5 that are my go to books and I always pull out the Joy when looking for a recipe and it rarely gives me what I need. The couple of times I have used a recipe from the book they haven't come out very good. I think the Better Homes and Garden and the Cooks Illustrated cookbooks are much better over all cookbooks. I feel like such a trader for not liking this book

• reddhedd17 By  reddhedd17
    03.07.12

I always give this cookbook to new brides as a shower gift with blank recipe cards. It never goes out of style and is helpful to get started with cooking great dinners and brunches.

• chanteusse By  chanteusse
    09.29.11

• katiesue By  katiesue
    09.28.11

Love the recipes and the easy instructions to follow.

• haveitoldyoulately By  haveitoldyoulately
    09.23.11

My all time favorite go to cookbook, and one I always find myself going back to. I remember as a child, my mom's edition (in the early 50's) was sent to her each month, chapter by chapter....a 5x7 book. She treasured those books. When I married in the late 60's I was so very thrilled to be able to purchase the bound edition. ..which I have to this day, along with my Mom's 50's booklet edition. One of my favorite potato recipes is the, twice baked sausage stuffed potatoes. And the pound cake with mace as one of the ingredients is the very best. Truly classic comfort food recipes. Everything you need to know about cooking is held in this book. Always a JOY with The Joy Of Cooking

• Babygrrrl923 By  Babygrrrl923
    09.21.11

This is a classic book that I will always enjoy returning too always. I am Hungarian/Romanian so people just automatically assume that is all that type of cuisine I make. Well they are incorrect and soon find out when I pull of "Joy of Cooking" just how versatile my cooking can make. One pro about this book, is after a hard days work or college, it is one book you can pull out that is filled with inspiration and composed very well to read and follow even after a difficult, stressful day. I Love This Book and I own about 30 different cookbooks! =)