- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Prep + Cook Time:
18 Hrs 10 Mins
Makes: 1 lb
cured salmon - great for brunch, appetizer etc.
brownulated (granulated) brown sugar
ground black peper
fresh dill on sprigs
mix salt and sugars
1. lay salmon filet flat in casserole dish (skin down)
2. put maybe a few tsbp total of the salt/sugar mixture on top, just enough to give it a good coated cover - definitely more than a sprinkle - use a spoon and wrist action - you won't use the entire cup
3. then sprinkle a little pepper on top - doesn't need much
4. lay a generous BED of fresh dill (on the stems) over the salmon, enough so you don't see the fish at all - approx 1 bunch per lb
5. cover the casserole dish with saran wrap or tinfoil or whatever, and put in fridge for 24 hours - 18 hours is sufficient too
6. after 18-24 hours, discard the dill and scrape off the salt/sugar w/ the back of a knife - I also rinse under cold water and scrape again (fish is tough enough to withstand all that torture)
7. slice as desired with chef knife, starting with thick end at 45 degree angle
8. voila, you have lox!
if freezes well - defrosts quickly either in fridge or sitting out, but do NOT defrost in microwave or it will cook it
other recipes in breakfast & brunch
I love making this recipe for breakfast! These pancakes are fluffy, filling and delicious!
This quiche is so easy to make that you'll be wanting to whip it up for more than special occasions!
Need a quick toddler meal for breakfast but short on supplies? Check out the 3 ingredient Easy Peasy Baked Apples recipe and you will have a healthy brea…