Are you planning any summer getaways this year? Planning to stay local or venture to beaches, resorts, or amusement parks by car or plane?
Tell us your summer plans in our Summer Travel Giveaway and you can win an American Express gift card to make your summer extra special! Just comment below with your summer plans for a chance to win.
According to the US Travel Association, Americans fail to use 429 million vacation days every year. The results were so mind-boggling to the web site, Skift.com, that they, too, polled their members and found out that only 62% plan to take a summer vacation at all. The majority used finances as their main reason and many stated they would be taking shorter breaks this summer. Surprisingly, the majority stating they can't afford taking a vacation this summer were women.
If money is a big issue this year, there are several ways to ensure traveling within your budget. Here are some tools to ensure a great, cost-effective summer vacation strategy, whether you're staying local or traveling:
1. Create a budget and explain to all of your travel companions, regardless of age, the importance of sticking to it.
2. Do your research to get the best deals. This includes booking online, making direct calls and getting personal recommendations. Keep in mind that travel agents tend to get a cut of a booking and that prices are often less booked further out and by avoiding blackout periods.
3. There are alternatives to 5-star hotels: Consider staying in an apartment or even take a house swap somewhere you've never been.
4. Apartments or hotel rooms with kitchens are useful for eating meals in and are quite cost-effective.
5. Consider a road trip to avoid high plane fares. Car journeys are often bonding experiences and give you and your travel companions the opportunity to stop at new, never-before-seen places en route to a destination. You can also see more of the place in which you live and head to local beaches and amusement parks.
This giveaway is open now through June 30th to USA residents at least 18 years of age. No purchase necessary.
Update: Congrats to winner tkdmomma!
Going to NYC! Woohoo!
Family vacation to visit friends in San Diego this summer!
Next month we are taking a road trip from Dallas to Orlando. Taking my kids to Disney World for their first time! They are so excited!
we are driving 18 hours west to ohio, visiting family and holding xmas in july!
We are hoping to make it to a local amusement park since my husband doesn't get any vacation time.
We're going to Hilton Head Island next month! Can't wait - love that place!
We are going to Vermont with friends.
We are taking the family to visit my Mom at her lake home right before we drop our eldest off for her second year at Auburn University.
Going to meet my boyfriend's family for the first time in South Carolina.
Taking a trip to Chicago & starting a new job! I'm pumped!
i'd like to go to some concerts and i love going to flea markets.
I'm hoping that I'll be able to go visit my oldest daughter in Portland, OR this summer!
We are headed to my inlaws in Florida for 3 weeks - just me and our 2 kids (7 year old boy and 10 month old girl). The hubby has to work so I'm flying solo with both kids! Looking forward to some beach time when we get there!! Hoping to take our son to Universal Studios for his birthday :-)
No plans for now. We live near high falls state park, Indian springs state park, and dauset trails animal sanctuary, money's dhort, so we'll be staying home.
Planning a trip/vacation later this summer. It will be close to home. Driving distance. Maybe to New Orleans, for few days. Then take the back roads for sigh seeing !
Make a Comment
To comment, please click here to login