We all know that moment when you flip through the radio stations and holiday music comes blaring through. Michael Buble, Mariah Carey and Adam Sandler make us all sing along and you know what that means… the holiday season is officially here!
Here are some of the classic traditions we love:
- Movie Night: Invite your friends and family over for a potluck filled with all your favorite dishes. Then gather around the screen to watch a holiday season movie. Whether it’s “Love Actually,” “Miracle on 34th St,” or “Nightmare Before Christmas,” there’s something magical about each one of them. Don’t forget to serve hot cocoa with peppermint swizzle stick for dessert during intermission!
- Football Game: There’s nothing like some competition to build an appetite. Split up into teams and see who will win the Holiday Bowl!
- Gingerbread House Building: Is there really anything better than edible decorations?
- Holiday Show: Sometimes we wish our favorite holiday shows played year round. Take advantage of this special time of year and an opportunity to see the classics. It's a big year for "The Radio City Christmas Spectacular" as they celebrate the Rockettes 85th anniversary in New York City! This year's show includes the numbers you love as well a few surprises! SheSpeaks is very excited, as we have a 4-pack of tickets to "The Radio City Christmas Spectacular" in New York City to give away! To enter for a chance to WIN* four tickets to "The Radio City Christmas Spectacular" in New York City tweet @SheSpeaksUp your favorite holiday tradition with the hashtags #85ROX & #SSHoliday. This giveaway* ends November 25, 2012, and the winner be randomly selected on November 26, 2012. Multiple entries are OK. U.S. residents only please. Travel is not included in the prize.
- Sledding, Ice Skating, Snow Tubing: It’s not really winter until you do one of these activities. Make sure you have plenty of hot cocoa at home for afterwards.
- Give Back: Help those in need by volunteering for a day, or by participating in your local coat or food drive.
Last year, SheSpeaks member FrugalityForLess shared with us a new tradition she started with her family, the Elf on the Shelf. What are your favorite holiday traditions? Do you stick to the classics or try to incorporate something new each year? If you want to add something different to the mix this year, here are some fun, creative ideas to whip in some new traditions into the classics:
- Road-trip Around the Neighborhood: Pile in the car and give your kids the control. Have the kids decide whether you turn right or left, viewing all the magical decorations at each turn.
- Color War: Hilarity is about to ensue, when you mix up your holiday gathering with family color war. The challenges should include brainteaser, creative and physical challenges. Each challenge should have a certain amount of points and the team who completes each challenges the fastest or most creative, wins those points. Don’t forget the tiebreaker, i.e. how many marshmallows are in this jar?
- Cookie Baking Party: Ask each person to bring their favorite holiday cookie recipe. Then cook the recipes in groups. Make sure to pick up storage containers so each person can bring an assortment home.
- Holiday Karaoke: Giggle and sing this holiday season by visiting your favorite karaoke bar after the feast! We know you were belting out to Nat King Cole in your car, now let everyone else hear!
- Holiday Brunch: The holidays really are all about the food and drinks! Have a large brunch for friends and family with dishes like Eggnog French Toast and Chocolate Chip Peppermint Pancakes. No meal is complete without flavorful drinks like Torani Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie Brewed Cofee, Candy Cane Steamers, and Chocolate Covered Cherry Hot Chocolate. For more seasonal favorites click here. Want to WIN* Mr.Coffee Café Frappe with two Torani Syrup flavors?! To enter for a chance to WIN*, simply comment on this blog post by answering the following question: "What name you would give your signature party beverage or Torani bottle?" This giveaway* ends on Novemeber 25, 2012 and the winner will be randomly selected on November 26, 2012. One entry per person. U.S. Residents only please.
Happy Thanksgiving! Good luck!
*U.S. Residents only please | Winner will be selected at random from entries received