Makes: 4 portions
Roasted cauliflower adds flavor to this made from scratch Macaroni and Cheese recipe with crispy pancetta and is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6.
Easy and delicious one pot meal that packs the flavor and veggies everyone can enjoy!
Italian cheese blend
Reduced fat milk
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of water with a large
pinch of salt to a boil. Once boiling, add the macaroni to the water and
cook for 8-10 minutes until al dente. Drain.
**HINT: Toss the drained macaroni with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent
it from sticking.
2. Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Thinly slice the scallions,
keeping the greens and whites separate.
3. Place the cauliflower on a baking sheet and season with salt and
pepper. Place the baking sheet in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden
brown and tender.
4. Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and
scallion whites to the pan and cook, tossing, for 4-6 minutes until the
pancetta is crispy. Set aside, leaving as much oil in the pan as possible.
5. Make the cheese sauce: heat 4 Tablespoons butter in the same
pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour into the butter
and cook, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes. Very slowly whisk
the milk into the pan a little bit at a time until combined. Bring the mixture to a simmer for
1-2 minutes until thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in half of
the cheese. Season with salt and pepper (to taste).
6. Stir the macaroni, pancetta mixture, and ¾ of the cauliflower into
the cheese sauce. Transfer the mixture into a lightly oiled baking dish
(we used an 8x8 inch dish). Top with the remaining cauliflower, cheese and green scallions then
transfer the dish to the oven to bake for 5-7 minutes, until bubbling.