Lois Lowry The Giver | SheSpeaks

• Koeshey Koeshey
    10.17.13

I read The Giver for the first time when I was 12, and it has been a favorite ever since. It gives you a glimpse into an intriguing fictional society while challenging your sense of right and wrong. It has a running theme that teaches the correlation between seemingly small choices and the ability of those small choices to change not just your own life, the the lives of those around you. The Giver may be Science Fiction, but the lessons on personal responsibility, believing in ones self, compassion for others, and the importance of careful decision making (which you find cleverly scattered though the beautifully written text) are very real. I highly recommend this book, not just because it inspires a love of reading, but because it helps to grow ones scene of self, while also renaming interesting and engaging.

• faeriekitty By  faeriekitty
    06.16.14

I read this after my oldest had to do a project on in in Middle School. Like others have mentioned,it's a great book for adults as well as Middle School students. I know the movie coming out for it won't be the same but I'm interested in seeing it also because of the cast actors/actresses portraying the characters.

• meme47 By  meme47
    06.16.14

this is one of best books I have ever read ...it is a book for teenagers but I found it engaging, entertaining, a page turner all the way...Lowry is wonderful ..she has written other books too..and they are just a good as the giver...I highly recommend this book to tweens, teens, and adults..

• Koeshey By  Koeshey
    10.17.13

• freemarie1984 By  freemarie1984
    01.25.12

I read this book in middle school, which was 15 years ago. The Giver was the first book that really grabbed my attention and developed my love for books. It was so intriguing and descriptive, I feel in love with it instantly, and cannot wait to share this story with my children and teach them lifes valuable lessons. I found this book at a book fair a couple years back, one of the best purchases I have ever made.

• emutracy By  emutracy
    10.22.11

Our entire middle school read this last year and it awesome! The conversations that it sparked about a perfect world and what that could look like were great.

• CherishMePlease By  CherishMePlease
    10.18.11

I haven't read it in a few years, but it's still one of my favorites. In middle school, we read The Giver in conjunction with Fahrenheit 451. Together they set a theme of oppression and how to handle it. Lowry's imagery in The Giver (as well as her other novels) paints pictures that are not easily forgotten.

• RoseRed612 By  RoseRed612
    10.14.11

I read this book in school. I feel in love with it. I thought it was pretty amazing, I'm going to have to find it and read it again.

• Stef67 By  Stef67
    05.30.11

I read this book in middle school- it is a great introduction to dystopian fiction. It fascinated every student in my class- even those who claimed to dislike reading. It has powerful imagery, conveys abstract concepts without being overbearing, and is also quite thrilling! It is one of the better choices for young adult reading.

• GerdaT By  GerdaT
    05.01.11

The Giver is an amazing science fiction novel. This book is a great inspirational book for children to teach them their values and how lucky they are in this world and how many CHOICES they have. This si one book that I will never forget!