Katherine Center How to Walk Away | SheSpeaks

• makysmama By  makysmama
    10.24.18

A story of hope and inspiration

I received How to Walk Away as an ARC and was blown away by the story. It's such a good, quick read that you don't want to put down. I wanted nothing but the best for Maggie and was praying for a miraculous recovery right along with her family. I could sense the happiness, heartache, fear and pain throughout the book. While this is my first Katherine Center book, I know it won't be my last! My new favorite quote came from this book: "When you don't know what to do for yourself, do something for someone else" Another one I love is: "It's the trying that heals you. That's all you have to do. Just try."

• Arolland88 By  Arolland88
    08.07.18

Hard to Put Down - How to Walk Away Book Review

I began this book by reading the first chapter online before ever getting the book. At that point this book seemed aimed slightly towards adolescents, but upon further reading it expands it range to be fitting for young teen through adults. There are various themes throughout the novel, some of which may be missed by younger readers, but more layers peel back with age or life experience. This complexity hidden in an easy reading book is part of the author's genius in writing. Throughout the novel, we see life through Margaret's eyes and ride the emotional roller coaster along with her. The author does an amazing job of bringing the reader along for the ride whether it be sheer happiness, anger, defeat, or just a case of the nerves, you'll be pulled from reality into the life of Margaret as she overcomes obstacles and grows into a new person. All of the major characters are so relatable even in the extreme scenarios laid out in the book. Kitty is quirky, yet somehow reliable and loveable. I even found myself rooting for insolent Ian almost from the moment he is introduced. Chip from the start was my least favorite and I feel some of his story was lacking in this book. He didn't have a major role throughout the novel, but he seemed to get written off too quickly and without consequences. Then there were the parents. While I never had quite so strained a relationship with my folks, I can understand and relate to the connection in milder forms. The author provides great life motivation and advice hidden throughout this captivating story. While there are a few areas that are less believable, the author has definitely done her research and is as accurate as possible in most areas. This provides a rare look into the recovery and rehabilitation of someone suffering from a spinal injury. Many other books would gloss over this and focus on the character interaction, but Katherine Center used the details to draw readers further into the story and make it come alive.

• irinam85 By  irinam85
    07.25.18

Such a great read!

Loved the book! Loved the story line and the characters (well most of them anyway, some I hated). The book has been an inspiration to life. What the main character went through and dealt with was not easy but can be done even in our lives. I received the book from Shespeaks to read and review, the opinions are all my own.

• Mdblasioli By  Mdblasioli
    06.21.18

Loved it!!!

I was so surprised at how much I loved this book. I received it for free through the SheSpeaks program, and I could not be more thrilled. This book was outstanding and I truly did not want to put it down. From the beginning of the story, I fell in love with the characters and wanted to learn more about them. I am not going to give any spoilers away, but the book is fantastic all the way through. The ending is not a disappointment, and I did not see it coming!! I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a romance novel.

• jannL7 By  jannL7
    06.20.18

Perfect Summer Read

This book is the perfect summer read! You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you won't want it to end! I received an advance reader copy from the publisher for an honest review.

• onemused By  onemused
    04.21.18

Wow, what a fantastic book! I wish I could give it ten stars! "How to Walk Away" was not what I expected, and I absolutely loved every single page of this motivating rom-com style novel. The novel begins with Margaret celebrating Valentine's Day with her WASPy boyfriend, Chip- she just knows that this is the time, and he is going to propose- but with her biggest fear- a flight. Although she gets the expected proposal, what she doesn't expect is the plane crash that follows. The word Margaret hears the most in the days following is "lucky," but she cannot feel lucky when her legs won't work and much of her body is burnt. Margaret knows that things will not be as simple as her mother wishes to believe, but this is her life, so she has to do what she must. The hospital assigned her to the only surly and unpleasant physical therapist, Ian- a Scottish man who makes Margaret's life harder- and insists on calling her Maggie. However, the best part of the book was the familial relationships that develop throughout the novel. Margaret's relationships with her mother and sister in particular really shine in the novel. The book is an interesting combination of tragedy, comedy, and relationships- romantic and familial- that I found absolutely captivating. I could not put this book down; it definitely became one of my favorites! I would love to see this adapted for a movie, as I think it would be amazing as a rom-com! This book touched my heart, made me laugh, made me think, and made me want to reread it immediately! I can't rave enough about this fantastic story! Please note that I received an ARC from the publisher. All opinions are my own.