Makes: 12 servings
A hearty muffin made with cereal. Perfect for breakfast-to-go!
1 1/4 cup
white vinegar or lemon juice
2 1/2 cups
raisin bran cereal
chopped pecans or walnuts
1 1/2 cups
1/2 - 3/4 cup
firmly packed brown sugar, to taste
1. Set oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners or spray muffin tin well.
3. If the raisins are hard, let them sit in boiling water for about 5 minutes.
Prepare liquid ingredients
4. In a bowl combine milk and vinegar; set aside.
5. In another bowl beat egg with a fork.
6. Blend in oil, honey, vanilla and soured milk into the beaten egg.
7. Stir in the cereal and raisins to the milk/vinegar mixture, along with the honey/oil mixture; stir to combine; set aside for 10 minutes to soften the bran.
Prepare dry ingredients
8. In another bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and nuts; Stir well.
9. Stir dry ingredients into liquid mixture, stirring JUST until moistened. Do not over mix.
10. Spoon batter into muffin tins.
11. Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning muffin tin half way through, or until done.