Are you planning any summer getaways this year? Planning to stay local or venture to beaches, resorts, or amusement parks by car or plane?
Tell us your summer plans in our Summer Travel Giveaway and you can win an American Express gift card to make your summer extra special! Just comment below with your summer plans for a chance to win.
According to the US Travel Association, Americans fail to use 429 million vacation days every year. The results were so mind-boggling to the web site, Skift.com, that they, too, polled their members and found out that only 62% plan to take a summer vacation at all. The majority used finances as their main reason and many stated they would be taking shorter breaks this summer. Surprisingly, the majority stating they can't afford taking a vacation this summer were women.
If money is a big issue this year, there are several ways to ensure traveling within your budget. Here are some tools to ensure a great, cost-effective summer vacation strategy, whether you're staying local or traveling:
1. Create a budget and explain to all of your travel companions, regardless of age, the importance of sticking to it.
2. Do your research to get the best deals. This includes booking online, making direct calls and getting personal recommendations. Keep in mind that travel agents tend to get a cut of a booking and that prices are often less booked further out and by avoiding blackout periods.
3. There are alternatives to 5-star hotels: Consider staying in an apartment or even take a house swap somewhere you've never been.
4. Apartments or hotel rooms with kitchens are useful for eating meals in and are quite cost-effective.
5. Consider a road trip to avoid high plane fares. Car journeys are often bonding experiences and give you and your travel companions the opportunity to stop at new, never-before-seen places en route to a destination. You can also see more of the place in which you live and head to local beaches and amusement parks.
This giveaway is open now through June 30th to USA residents at least 18 years of age. No purchase necessary.
Update: Congrats to winner tkdmomma!
I think doing research and finding the best deals are the most important thing here!!
Going to San Diego and Carlsbad, CA for the first Time!
I am simply staying home this year on my short vacation spurts as I have no extra money to travel do to hospital bills I had not expected.
I want to travel to Chesapeake Bay for Crabfest and fun!! 🍷☺🌟💃🚤⛵💯🍤
Hit the beaches in my area, picnics, cookouts and working out at the gym!! 🌊🌟🌏🌜💃👙🐠🐟🐬🐳🌴🌸🌺🌻🌼🎈🎈🎊🎉🎶🎵🎺🎷🎸🎹🎶🏊🏄🎣🚴🍸🍻🍷🍹🍕🍔🍝🍗🍦🍉🍇🍒🍓🍎🍍🍌🚤⛵🎢🎡🚘💯
Going to London for a theater weekend
We went to Oahu for 10 days and had an amazing time. Walking, swimming, site seeing and just a host of other things. It was restful and so beautiful and to be on the 20th floor of our hotel, you could see almost everything around you.
My husband and I are taking a cruise to New England. We honeymooned there 45 years ago. We did a drive tour and visited 5 states. Our cruise ship will stop at 4 ports we visited on our honeymoon and 2 stops we have never visited. We hope for good cruising weather.
I'm mostly working over the summer to help pay off my student loans, but perhaps I'll go on a cheap and spontaneous trip!
Actually my 15yr old son had costly foot surgery, has not been able to put weight on it for 3 months, (1/2 way there) and currently starting therapy. So that cut into out expenses this year, have to cut out vacation this year. If we could go anywhere, would've loved to go on a cruise for the first time or maybe California.
We r planning a trip to Branson Mo.
Going to beach and lakes and ride Sea Doos
Thanks American Express and @shespeaks for this opportunity!
We are heading to the East Coast and Spending two weeks visiting Washington D.C, Philly, Niagra Falls and all parts along the way. It is the first time my boys have seen the East Coast so we are thrilled!
My daughter and I go to Chicago for the Wizard World Comicon to see Norman Reedus every year in August. This coming year will be our 3rd year. We have such fun!