EL James 50 Shades of Grey | SheSpeaks

• Pistachio Pistachio
    03.05.13

Oh. My. God. This book is insane - although insanely good or insanely bad, I honestly don't know. First of all, you have to be aware that this was spawned from Twilight fan fiction. That, in and of itself, has garnered some haters. The storyline isn't bad at all. It's the basic framework of most romance novels, with a dangerous love brewing between two individuals. However, EL James has made this story more... erm... "realistic" by making the topic about BDSM, instead of about vampires. Admittedly, Anastasia is a weak character, but that's a commonality with many novels of today. A lot of the lines are really cheesy; some are even cringe-worthy. Just... try to enjoy the book. This novel is extremely kinky. Yes, it really is. But every girl dreams of a Christian Grey, and oh my goodness, he fits the bill PERFECTLY. The only thing I would say: Beware. The topic is very adult, the writing is very simple, but the sex - it's intense. (And it starts on page 84 or something.) Shield your children's eyes! :) And enjoy..........

• I feel like I'm the only one on the planet who thought this book was lackluster. Especially since my friends and the rest of the world were totally captivated by these books. I can't believe the hype it's generated. The storyline was really predictable and corny, some parts were just ridiculously unbelievable. The writing was pretty terrible to boot. I'm amazed how cliche the sex scenes were, I found myself skipping pages to get on with the story. I won't be rushing to the hardware store for bondage gear anytime soon.

• Prettydeadcreature By  Prettydeadcreature
    10.09.17

This is not real bdsm

This is someone imagination of it or fantasy whatever the plot was ok I guess but it's not bdsm it's a bit kinky but cool your jets ppl if you wanna spice up the bedroom do it but reading a book doesn't make you like hardcore or less vanilla not putting anyone down just wasn't my cup of tea

• Lroma55 By  Lroma55
    07.29.16

I enjoyed all three books. And the Grey book which is Christian Grey's point of view. I could read them over and over again. Like someone else said, you either love them or hate them. I love them. NOT for kids at all though.

• Jgiddens2556 By  Jgiddens2556
    06.30.16

I loved the series and can say it was definitely an interesting read.

• MudMillsQueen By  MudMillsQueen
    06.24.16

Could not put this one down!!!

You're either going to Love it or Hate it, and I LOVED IT!!! It's twisted and sexual and cunning and sly and sexy and romantic and gentle and serious and loving all rolled into one book. I seriously could not put it down and I am not a huge reader. Mr Christian Grey roped me in from the very beginning. And innocent Anna... ohhh innocent Anastasia. It's got everything in this book from romance, to drama to dark emotional abuse, to sexual abuse to bondage, to everything in between. Which ever way you take it. It's definitely not for everybody! But it truly is a romance novel and I loved the story of the characters. I fell in love with them. I had to know what was going to happen to ALL of them. I could have been Anastasia Steele working in that little store... ohhh the fantasy.. and who would have been my Christian... see that is how it gets in your head!!!!!!! You must read this!!!! Gooooo now!!!!!!!!! Thank you EL James.... please keep writing about what they are doing now... I miss them!! ;)

• AbrilT By  AbrilT
    05.18.16

Christian Gray

50 shades of gray has to be one of my favorite books. Now dont get me wrong the steamy stuff is great but I was more interested in the development of Christian gray himself! His back story is heartbreakingly phenomenal. To be honest I believe the author took the greatest care in the back story and left everything else to sort itself out. That being said it's still a great book if you can see past the sexy oddness of it

• kblack2010 By  kblack2010
    01.25.16

I love this series. I find it very seductive and entertaining.

• DeidreJo By  DeidreJo
    01.19.16

A great book that quite possibly could be mistaken as soft core, but otherwise it is a great series. I have read the books and watched the movies. Prefer the books over the movies though.

• MarleeB By  MarleeB
    01.09.16

A good story line but I think it was poorly written. Very predictable and repetitive.

• K10mock By  K10mock
    12.31.15

I found 50 shades of gray to be fun and easy to read. They were something entirely different from my library which is always good for a different read!

• ima_lil_galaxy By  ima_lil_galaxy
    12.21.15

Wow, if I could negatively rate this book, I would. The prose was less than highschool and the character development was disheartening. Anastasia is an ultra weak female character, and Christian Grey is powerful, masculine like Gaston to me with no internal dialogue but his dick. It's very adult and mostly just about sexual fantasies, so if you love a good erotic novel, this is a great and easy, enlightening read about BDSM. Other than that, it's not a book that should a "must-read."