Makes: 8 servings
This is a make-ahead, multi-layered pie that is better on the second day than the first. The bottom layer is a sweet, cooked pineapple filling that is spread into a graham cracker crust. The top is delightfully sweet, whipped cream cheese. It works best in a deep, 9 ½ inch pie plate, and the light, mild flavor works well as a refreshing end to a heavy meal.
1 (20 ounce) can
crushed pineapple with juice
1 (8 ounce) package
cream cheese, slightly softened
(Use your favorite recipe for the graham cracker crust, a store-bought one, or use my recipe included in the pie-making instructions!)
1. After making graham cracker pie crust, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. To Make Pineapple Layer: In a medium saucepan combine 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, and pineapple with juice. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is the consistency of jelly.
3. To Make Cream Cheese Layer: In a medium mixing bowl, whip cream cheese until fluffy. Whip in sugar and salt until mixture is smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, and milk. Beat mixture until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Mixture will be liquidy.
4. Pour pineapple mixture into crust. Gently pour cream cheese mixture over pineapple layer.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and bake an additional 50 minutes, or until tops of pies begin to brown. Chill well before serving.
Graham Cracker Crust:
1 1/2 cups finely crushed graham crackers (about 20 crackers)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 tablespoons sugar
1. Heat oven to 350 F.
2. In medium bowl, stir all ingredients until well mixed. Reserve 1 to 3 tablespoons crumb mixture for garnishing top of pie before serving, if desired. Press remaining mixture firmly against bottom and sides of 9-inch glass pie plate.
3. Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown; cool. Fill as directed in pie recipe.