It's once again the time of year where romance is in the air. Whether you're a hopeless romantic or simply looking for something new and interesting to do with your significant other, we've got some great ideas to get your date night started!
Cook a Meal Together at Home
This idea is a classic way to spice up your date night. Use a unique theme for the meal to keep it interesting. For example, plan the meal using only aphrodisiac foods. You can find a good list of aphrodisiac foods here.
Create some fun and simple IOUs
Try making coupon books to trade with one another for things such as massages, homemade dinners, etc. Really, the possibilities for this one are endless.
Plan a Scavenger Hunt
Leave a trail of clues for your significant other to follow. Leave them with neighbors, or leave them at special places that mean something to the relationship. Have the last one lead to a restaurant or other romantic location where you'll be waiting with a gift or prize.
Cuddle Up with a Romantic Movie
There's nothing more relaxing than a night spent curled up with your significant other on the couch while a movie plays in the background. Here are some of our favorite romantic movies for just such an occasion:
- When Harry Met Sally: Harry and Sally have known each other for years, and are very good friends, but they fear sex would ruin the friendship.
- Sleepless in Seattle: A recently widowed man's son calls a radio talk show in an attempt to find his father a partner.
- The Notebook: A poor and passionate young man falls in love with a rich young woman and gives her a sense of freedom. They soon are separated by their social differences.
- Casablanca: Set in unoccupied Africa during the early days of World War II: An American expatriate meets a former lover, with unforeseen complications.
- Say Anything: A noble underachiever and a beautiful valedictorian fall in love the summer before she goes off to college.
- Dirty Dancing: Spending the summer in a holiday camp with her family, Frances ('Baby') falls in love with the camp's dancing teacher.
- P.S. I Love You: A young widow discovers that her late husband has left her 10 messages intended to help ease her pain and start a new life.
- No Strings Attached: A guy and girl try to keep their relationship strictly physical, but it's not long before they learn that they want something more.
Explore the Great Outdoors
Our members here at SheSpeaks have provided some great ideas for how to get outside and active for date night. Here's what a couple of them had to say:
"My husband and I got away one afternoon without the kids and we rented a canoe. We rowed out to a little island where we had lunch all by ourselves. We just took our time and enjoyed each other's company without cell phones or computers, free from any distractions. We had planned ahead of time and brought a small grill and marinated some steaks and cooked everything out on this island. It was so romantic and peaceful." - juliebw
"My favorite date idea is to go on a walk somewhere unusual. For instance, in my area we have a lot of nature trails and off the path beaches. Not only is it private and romantic, but it also takes us out of our element. We escape the everyday hustle and bustle. Don't forget to bring a camera too, there are some beautiful shots you can capture!" - maryki_12
To read more date night ideas from SheSpeaks members, click here.
So there are our ideas for how to spend your date night, but now we want to hear from you!
To be entered to win one of our giveaway prizes this week, simply submit your favorite date night movie review or recipe. Better yet, do BOTH and you'll have two chances to win! Reviews and recipes must be submitted by 6pm EST on February 13th, 2012.
King Arthur Flour Basket:
Vanilla Sugar Cookie Mix, White Icing Mix, Soft Gel Paste Food Colors,
Sugar Pearls, Heart Cutters - Set of 5, and a coupon for a free bag of flour in the supermarket
Chocolate Lover's Box:
Mix of rich chocolates made from the finest cocoa beans.
*The contest starts February 7, 2012 and ends February 13, 2012; at 6:00 p.m. Must be a US resident. No purchase necessary.